Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Witches

Book Ideas:


Room on the broom by Julia Donaldson
“A witch finds room on her broom for all the animals that ask for a ride, and they repay her kindness by rescuing her from a dragon."




The Witch has an Itch by Donna Guthrie
"Every time Gromelda the witch tries to work her evil magic, she gets an itch."




Piggie Pie by Margie Palatini
"Gritch the Witch wants piggies for dinner, but when she shows up at Old MacDonald's farm, the pigs go undercover."



The Little Green Witch by Barbara Barbieri McGarth
"A Halloween remake of 'The Little Red Hen.' While her hollow-tree housemates (a ghost, a bat, and a gremlin) laze around, the little witch does all the 'unhousework'-hanging the cobwebs, dirtying the laundry, etc. When she finds some pumpkin seeds and plants them, she discovers that her friends are stubbornly unhelpful at every stage."




The Candy Witch by Steven Kroll
“Windy wants to be nice but her aunts say that she has to be bad for she is a witch. Read this story and find out what happens when a witch with a love of candy decides to become a good witch!”




Songs and Rhymes:


Sing A Song Of Halloween...
(Sing A Song Of Sixpence)


Sing a song of Halloween,
What a scary night,
Ghosts and bats and big black cats,
Give us all a fright.
Shining jolly Jack-O-Lanterns
Fill our hearts with fun,
But if the black witch comes along,
We'll all run!



There was an old lady in a pointed hat---


There was an old lady in a pointed hat (Use your hands to make pointed hat over head)
She came to my door with a rap-tap-tap (pretend to knock on door)
I opened up the door to see who was there (pretend to open door)
She jumped on her broom and flew through the air. (use hand to fly into the sky)


Ghost and goblins
(sung to the tune Frere Jacques)

Ghost and goblins
Ghost and goblins
Witches too
Witches too
All out trick or treating
All out trick or treating
Can’t Scare You
Can’t Scare You !


Old Witch, Old Witch

First verse :
Old Witch, Old Witch, she lives in a ditch,
And combs out her hair with a hickory switch.
She lives on nails and snails and flies
And if you go near her she’ll wobble her eyes!
Second verse:
Old Witch, Old Witch, she lives in a ditch,
And combs out her hair with a hickory switch.
She lives on volts and bolts and gears
And if you go near her she’ll wobble her ears!
Third verse:
Old Witch, Old Witch, she lives in a ditch,
And combs out her hair with a hickory switch.
She lives on quartz and warts and hose
And if you go near her she’ll wob-ble your nose!


Witch Doctor Song
I told the witch doctor I was in love with you
I told the witch doctor you didn't love me too
And then the witch doctor, he told me what to do
He said that ....
[Chorus:]Ooo eee, ooo ah ah ting tang
Walla walla, bing bang
Ooo eee, ooo ah ah ting tang
Walla walla, bing bang...
Ooo eee, ooo ah ah ting tang
Walla walla, bing bang
Ooo eee, ooo ah ah ting tang
Walla walla, bing bang

I told the witch doctor you didn't love me true
I told the witch doctor you didn't love me nice
And then the witch doctor, he game me this advice
He said to ...[Chorus]

Now, you've been keeping love from me
Just like you were a miser
And I'll admit I wasn't very smart
So I went out and found myself
A guy that's so much wiser
And he taught me the way to win your heart
My friend the witch doctor, he taught me what to say
My friend the witch doctor, he taught me what to do
I know that you'll be mine when I say this to you
Oh, Baby ....(chorus)



Activity Ideas



Witch Shapes Collage

Materials Needed:

-Lots of shapes, cut out of paper, in various sizes and colors (do this in advance)
-construction paper
-glue
-scissors
-google eyes or makers to make the face


Tell your child that you want them to make a witch only using shapes. (I only used circles, squares, rectangles and triangles, but you could add more if you wanted). Add to the learning by pointing to the various shapes and asking them "what shape is this?" and "what color is it?". Have them glue their shapes down on the paper and add a face at the end. Here is an example of a witch made by a two year old. I talked it out with her by first asking where the head should go, then moving on to the body, legs, arms, and hat (if you notice the hat is upside down--resist the urge to correct it. It is cuter when it represents their thinking.) Here is an example of an older child's work. My five year old went straight to work and needed little instruction once I got her started with "what shape looks like a face?" I stretched her thinking at the end by asking her if she could figure out a way to make a broom, using the shapes she had left.



Witch Hat Snacks

What You Need to Make Witch Hats:
Refrigerated pie crust
Chocolate chips
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
How to Make Witch Hats:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Unroll circular pie crust onto counter.
3. Cut pie crust into 16 wedges (triangles).
4. Line the bottom of the wedge with chocolate chips.
5. Enclose the chocolate chips by rolling the pie crust toward the point of the wedge, leaving about 4 inches of crust unrolled.
6. Place rolled pie crust wedges onto a cookie sheet lined with wax paper 1/2 inch apart. Bend and shape the pie crust to look like a witch hat.
7. Combine the cinnamon and sugar together in a small bowl.
8. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture onto the witch hats.
9. Bake 10 to 14 minutes or until witch hats are light brown


Math Mat Game


Copy and past a witch hat clip art until it covers the page and print on 8x11 cardstock paper. (I got mine using google image search for witch hat coloring pages. I rotated the hat horizontal and then I inserted it into a word document so I could make the image smaller. Once I got it to the size I wanted I copied and pasted it over and over.) You will need to print one page or mat for each player. Laminate or use clear contact paper to protect the mats for future use.

Players take turns rolling the dice and placing beans or some kind of marker on the corresponding number of witch hats. So if you roll a four you would cover four hats on your page and then wait for your next turn. Keep rolling and covering the number of witch hats you roll. The player to cover all their hats first is the winner.

Witches Brew

Use a black plastic pot to use as the cauldron or any mixing bowl. Then add vampire teeth (candy corn), polar bear toes (miniature marshmallows), fried bat wings (frosted flakes), lizard eyes (M&M's), and rat brains (peanuts). Let your child stir the mixture and laugh together as you add the parts. Eat and enjoy!



No comments: